Monday, August 22, 2022

Calculations

I did some number crunching over the weekend. I wanted to know what would make more sense... sell my condo or rent it to strangers?

My current situation: Keeping food benefits and health insurance, and all expenses remaining static, I am running a deficit of $712 a month.

Renting and living in my van: After taking into account any losses I would have (health insurance, cheap van storage) and new expenses (storage for my stuff) I would have no more than $295 a month to live on. As an owner, I would still have food benefits, public washrooms, a place to shower (at pool and fitness facilities), and cheap van storage, but limited access to WiFi, electricity, and water. And in the summer it will be 110 degrees inside the van.

If I rent out my condo and also rent a room for $300 a month, I would have zero money for dental, medical, clothes, taxes, etc. 

Selling and renting a room for myself: After taking into account any losses I would have (food benefits, health insurance, cheap van storage) and new expenses (storage for my stuff) I would have no more than $250 a month to live on. The cash from the condo must be invested for emergency medical expense and nursing home care.


For now I will stay in the condo, keep trying to sell everything I have, avoid new expenses, while also trying to do odd jobs for people. I will be hemming pants for a man this week ... a far cry from the $600 an hour I used to earn consulting to clients back in Canada. And returning to Canada is likely impossible after an absence of 14 years.

When my remaining savings is depleted by dental work, outstanding medical bills, and van repairs, I will apply for SSI benefits. As I'm not eligible for Social Security benefits at 73 this is my only hope of a regular income. $750 a month would allow me to break even.

My crazy goal is to EARN $4,440. to cover the expense of copyright registration, ISBN numbers, and low-cost cover designs for 40 books. If I can get all those books on Amazon and promote them I could possible have enough income to live on without having to move. And I can write more short books.

I'm grateful for the recent purchases from friends who are supportive of my efforts to bring in earned income.

If you feel so moved, I invite you to browse my website for items you may want to purchase. I'm posting photos faster than I'm posting the descriptions and prices, so be patient with me, please. www.AndreasEstate.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculations

I did some number crunching over the weekend. I wanted to know what would make more sense... sell my condo or rent it to strangers? My curre...